Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Kade's Little Mind is Amazing

My kid sister, affectionately known around our household as Monk Monk, just left us this morning. We had a lot of fun last week and have many adventures to update you on. However, I don't really have time to get all the fabulous pictures uploaded tonight so maybe I can catch you up on our fun with Monk Monk in the next couple of days.

I am going to take the time to tell you a couple of stories about this guy:

He amazes us everyday!

Story #1
It is Tuesday night and Monk Monk has just arrived that day. I'm trying to convince Kade that he needs to go to bed so that he can be rested up to have fun with Monk Monk. He gives me a big sigh and follows it up with "but she's just gonna leave again, Momma, she's gonna get on a plane and go back home again." How do you argue with the truth? So I pleaded with him, "she will have to get on a plane and go back home, you're right, but not for a whole week. We have a whole week to play with Monk Monk." I thought maybe a "whole week" would get him excited. No luck. He replies, "But I don't want a whole week, Mom." I'm surprised at his answer. "you don't?", I ask. Kade's answer, "Nope, I don't want a whole week. I want lots and lots and lots of weeks!" All I had to say to that was, "Me too, buddy, but we've only got one whole week so let's have as much fun as we can." That seemed to satisfy him and off to bed he went!

A quick follow up to that story: This morning I left early taking Monk to the airport. When I got back Kyle let me sleep a little and he got up with the boys. He told me that Kade asked where I was and he told Kade that I was still in the bed. Of course Kade wondered why and Kyle told him that I had gotten up early and taken Monk Monk to the airport. Kade's quick response: "OH NO, that's TERRIBLE!"
He knew from the beginning that it was going to happen and I guess it was just as bad as he had feared.


Story #2
It's Friday morning, July 17th. This makes it Kade's half-birthday (the day he turned 2 1/2). Anyway, Kade has come into our bedroom and said his Good Mornings (I wish everyone could get at least one "good morning" from Kade in their life, it just melts your heart.) Then he sat on the floor in the loft just outside of our bedroom where we could still see him. I quickly said to him, "Kade, it's your half-birthday, Happy half-birthday!" To which he very quickly responded, "Momma, it's not my birthday. My birthday's in January!"
I immediately looked at Kyle and said, "I didn't know that he knew when his birthday was." Kyle agreed that he was unaware that Kade knew when his birthday was. Then it hit me. "How does he know it's not January?" Well, I tried to explain about a half-birthday to him and wasn't sure that he quite got it. But I guess he did because at some point today he said to me, "I'm two and a half now, Mom."


Story #3
I think this one is my favorite.
So today Kade is eating his corndog at lunch like a champ. He usually gets some kind of snack after lunch if he eats good. We had leftover S'more supplies from last week and since Kade was in bed when we did S'mores and didn't get introduced to the oh so tasty treat, I thought I would make him one. I cheated and used the microwave version but Kade didn't seem to mind. When I brought the S'more to him I said, "Look Kade, I made you a special treat. This is called a S'more." He smiled and reached out for a bite. "Hey those are graham crackers, Momma." "You're right they are." He kept eating with a "yum" after almost every bite. About halfway through eating his special treat I asked him if he remembered what it was called. "It's a
S'more. It has graham crackers and chocolate and marshmellows." I could see a lightbulb go off in his mind this very second and his next sentence was, "Hey Momma, I saw a picture of this on the graham cracker box. Yeah, this is on the graham cracker box. I like it!"
Graham cracker box is in the pantry and you better believe I went to check it out. Sure enough, there is a picture of S'mores on there! Who knew??

And what about this guy:
Align Center

Well, he is getting around like crazy. Mostly army crawling but up on his knees or toes a lot. If he sees it and wants it....he goes and gets it! Kyle let his bed down today so that he doesn't come rolling out of there on us. We go to the doctor tomorrow for his well-baby check up. I'll be sure to update you on his latest stats.

4 comments:

Marc C said...

Amazing smarts from such a little guy. He must have gotten his smarts from his uncle doc.

Granddaddy and C.G. said...

No, no, no, Uncle Doc!!! He got it from his CG!! Yeah!

Granddaddy and C.G. said...

And that sweet little face of Ryne's?? Yeah, that's from me too!!

Kristen said...

Such brilliant little guys!! =) I love the stories. Keep 'em coming!